The school year is starting next week, though it still feels like summer here. Like I did last year, with kindergarten, I’ll be sharing our lesson plan for the following week every week. For those of you who are not familiar with Waldorf inspired learning, Waldorf kindergarten does not include academics, so first grade covers some subjects that are taught in kindergarten in other educational settings. By third grade, however, Waldorf students are working at the same grade level, academically, as students educated in different educational models.
If you’d like to join us, these are the books that are needed this year. (Note, if this seems like a lot of books to purchase, the fairy tale books and nature stories book can be found in public domain. Also, the form drawing book, music book, poetry book, and painting and drawing books cover grades 1-8.)
Each week of our lesson plan will include the following elements: Main lesson – this includes stories, lessons, poetry, modeling wax activities, and main lesson book activities, review calendar and days’ schedule (continued focus on rhythm from kindergarten and preschool), seasonal song, nature stories, nature walks, journaling, and collecting, form drawing, pentatonic flute, Spanish, handwork, skip counting, watercolor lesson, and seasonal project – baking, crafts, etc.
If you are interested in joining us, but don’t want to cover all of these activities, we’d love to have you for any or all and we’d love to hear about your experiences. Also, I am not going to specify how many days per week to homeschool or cover any one subject, that is up to you and I like to keep things loosey goosey, especially at the beginning of the year, and see how well a subject flies with Sola.
Without further adieu, this is our homeschooling first grade lesson plan for week 1:
- Review calendar and days’ schedule (continue to incorporate rhythm in your homeschool)
- Song – Music Through the Grades: Shiny Red Apples (page 8)
- Nature Stories – Clara Dillingham Piersen’s Complete Among the People Series
- Mr. Red Squirrel Comes to Live in the Forest
- Why Mr. Great Horned Owl Hatched the Eggs
- Nature walk, journaling, and collecting
- Form Drawing Workbook – Page 32
- Recorder – Waldorf Teachers’ Companion to the Pentatonic Flute, pages 7-8
- Main lesson – Introduction to Letters, Week 1
- Spanish – Duck Duck Moose Presents Jose-Luis Orozco: Buenos Días (Spanish and English lyrics)
- Handwork – card wool and plan what natural dye to use next week if you want to dye your wool
- Skip counting practice – Practice 2’s
- Watercolor lesson – Painting and Drawing in Waldorf Schools – page 108
- Seasonal baking or craft –
- do bark rubbings of several trees in your area
- look for autumn nature treasures for nature table and autumn nature fairies
So please, feel free to join us in this wonderful year of seasonally inspired first grade year of homeschooling. If you use any of our lesson plans or ideas, we’d love to hear from you!