How was your homeschooling week? I’m sorry to be posting this at the last minute. I meant to post it before Thanksgiving, but got distracted. We always take off the week of Thanksgiving, so this lesson plan is for this week, the first week of December. St. Nicholas Day is next Sunday, December 6th.
Here is our seasonally inspired homeschooling first grade lesson plan for week 13. Please refer to week 1’s post for a list of all the books that we are using this year.
- Review calendar and days’ schedule (continue to incorporate rhythm in to your homeschool)
- Song – Music Through the Grades: Music Through the Grades: Swinging Bells (page 18)
- Nature Stories – Clara Dillingham Piersen’s Complete Among the People Series
- The Twin Lambs
- The Very Short Story of the Foolish Little Mouse
- Nature walk, journaling, and collecting
- Form Drawing Workbook – Page 46
- Recorder – Waldorf Teachers’ Companion to the Pentatonic Flute, page 21
- Main lesson –
- Day 1 – Read The Seven Year Old Wonder Book (pages 74 – 92)
- Day 2 – draw picture from story and write title in main lesson book
- Day 3 – make modeling wax scene that is inspired by the story
- Spanish – Duck Duck Moose Presents Jose-Luis Orozco: Las Horas (Spanish and English lyrics)
- Skip counting practice – Practice 4’s (note song below)
- Handwork – Start working on spool knitting (also called a knitting tower, knitting nancy, knitting doll, French Knitting, etc.) project (3 weeks)
- Watercolor lesson – Painting and Drawing in Waldorf Schools – page 117 (assignment #1)
- Seasonal baking or craft – make candied orange peel for Saint Nicholas day
Please, feel free to join us in this wonderful year of seasonally inspired first grade year of homeschooling. If you use any of our lesson plans or ideas, we’d love to hear from you!