October is here! I originally had planned this week to be focusing on corn, though corn has been in season here for months now. Still, early October is when I think of corn harvesting time and certainly the calico corn is just appearing alongside the ornamental gourds in our store. So, here is our seasonal lesson plan for our homeschool week with 10 things to do with corn for kids.
- Song – Music Through the Grades: Fall, page 33
- Poem – The Waldorf Book of Poetry: Autumn Fancies, page 134
- Seasonal Activities –
- Visit a corn maze
- Harvest some fresh corn
- Make a corn husk doll
- Build a corn cob squirrel feeder
- Make a calico corn necklace
- Sprout or germinate an ear of corn
- Make your own candy corn
- Make a corn cob wreath
- Use modeling wax to make a tiny corn for your nature table, story telling, or creative play
- Make these beautiful corn husk luminaries
Do any of these catch your eye? How is your homeschool doing? Are you feeling like you have things under control now? Or did you feel that way already?