We made autumn-themed window transparencies this week. I had purchased Mit farbigen Transparenten durch das Jahr for inspiration. I knew the book was in German and that my German is very weak, at best, but I had not anticipated that the book would be so small, so the patterns were all small. If Dora wasn’t being so impatient, I would have tried to enlarge them on our printer, but I’ve never figured out how to do this and she wasn’t going to give the peace and quiet I needed to figure it out. The book did help Sola, however, to better understand what we were making. The last time we did this, she did not understand that she could not have gaps in the kite paper.One problem that we ran into is that I’ve read that you should start with one large, very light-colored piece of kite paper for the main background when making a window transparency. Unfortunately, we had used all of our lightest colors the last time we made transparencies, so yellow-orange was the lightest color we had. Sola used clear Elmer’s glue for her transparency, which didn’t work well, as it was very visible and ran since she used too much. I’m buying her glue sticks for the next time we try this. I used glue tape and it found that it worked perfectly. I’m still working on mastering the art of putting the layers on in the correct order to achieve the look that I want. It is not as easy as it looks. We hung the transparencies with double-sided tape.
You can also take a look at my Window Transparency Pinterest Board to get more ideas of what you can do with window transparencies. I think they are lots of fun!